I'm building on Windows only, using an ancient, unsupported version of
publican plus fop for Windows
I changed some settings, like single-page formatting and added a crude
manual cleaning-step which removes a lot of annoying whitespace around
examples.  Windows was (and still seems) the only way to get a decent PDF.
PDFs built on Ubuntu had several major issues (reported at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/publican-list/2016-August/msg00004.html)
which I didn't understand well enough to be able to fix.
Also the build would take some ten times longer than on Windows and I'm
doing all the editing on Windows, so a build capability on Windows is
really a must for me.

My old installation notes for publican on Windows are here, but I'm not
sure how complete these are

~~~
Install Publican
https://fedorahosted.org/releases/p/u/publican/
Tars and SRPMs: https://fedorahosted.org/releases/p/u/publican/
Publican-Installer-3.0.exe

Install FOP
https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/download.html
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/xmlgraphics/fop
http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/pub/software/apache/xmlgraphics/fop/binaries/fop-1.1-bin.zip

add "version: 5.0" to docs/trunk/rexxref/publican.cfg
either
  add Publican path to PATH: set path="\Program Files
(x86)\Publican;"%PATH%, or
  use "\Program Files (x86)\Publican;publican.exe" instead of "publican"
either
  add FOP path to PATH: set path=\FOP\fop-1.1;%PATH%, or
  create a BAT file (within your PATH) that redirects
publican build --formats=pdf --langs=en-US --common_content=".."
~~~