Chip,

I agree that staying away from sharp objects is good, and the discussion is
mostly academic.

But here some other arguments to consider:
1) this can be distilled down to when it is necessary to evaluate an
expression. If the expression is a number, one might argue it has been
evaluated already, and does not need further evaluation under the numeric
digits constraints. When it is not a number, it should be evaluated like any
other expression.

2) it appears - I have been told - that CRX (of which I do not have a running
version), does evaluate the numeric argument under the current settings and
comes up (for 18) with 2E+1, so 2. While just as astonishing (well, maybe a bit
more), this is even more PLE than ooRexx.

With this, I will now be silent on this subject until the next ARB meeting.

René.