On 8/8/06, Lance Hanlen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi, my name's Lance Hanlen. I just got here and I want to contribute.
I already know where I need to fit in, it's the
 3.1 Write Verilog based on specs and design
subsection of your planning page.

The bad news is that I've never done this before. I will read through
the verilog tutorial on the wiki page, and I will skulk around the
mailing list while I am teaching myself, but if anyone can give me any
advice regarding where to get information to get myself up to speed
and start working on a specific problem, I would be greatful and more
productive faster! Any of the following would be a big help:

I may not adequately answer all of your questions right now, but
please be persistent.  :)

* What kind of setup is recommended for the Verilog development. Is
there a preferred combination of "compiler"/simulator, etc., for a
given development platform?

What I use for simulation is Icarus Verilog under Linux.  For
synthesis, I use the Xilinx tools under Windows (there are
instructions somewhere for using that under Wine).

* Are there any problems that are simple enough for someone just starting out?

I suppose you could start with some artificial problems.  Like
homework?  Sounds boring, I know.  :)

You know what I was thinking... One thing we're going to need is a
block that converts from YUV to RGB and another one that converts the
other way.  There is a matrix multiply that you can start with and
then simplify.

Start with just implementing the math directly.  Use the '*' operator
as necessary, and get it to simulate.  We'll get into a more
synthesizable form when you've mastered this.

Focus on just RGB (8:8:8) and YUV (8:8:8), and we'll deal with
variations in the physical format at another time.

* Where are the designs? Specs?

There are specs for the drawing engine.  But that's going to be a
complex beast.  We can get into that more as you get more advanced.
BTW, that shouldn't be long, because a lot of people on the list with
a programming background have picked up Verilog quickly and have
started to get quite good at "thinking hardware" too.
_______________________________________________
Open-graphics mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.duskglow.com/mailman/listinfo/open-graphics
List service provided by Duskglow Consulting, LLC (www.duskglow.com)

Reply via email to