On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:37:23 -0400, Warren Layton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I recently installed Evergreen 1.4 RC1 on a fresh install of Ubuntu
8.04 Server. Following the instructions on the DokuWiki[1], I ran into
two minor issues:

1) Running the Makefile.install attempts to install syslog-ng. This
itself isn't a problem but it causes the package manager to warn the
user that syslogd, ksyslogd and ubuntu-minimal will be uninstalled,
which the package manager doesn't seem to like. I did and "apt-get
install syslog-ng" before running the Makefile.install and it made
things a bit less confusing. (I don't think this is specific to Ubuntu
Server - I seem to remember the same thing happening when I installed
on Desktop).

Technically speaking, syslog-ng (and ntpdate) are not required for running Evergreen. They were just grandfathered in. Syslong-in in particular should probably be removed from the Makefile, since choosing a logger is more of a personal choice.

2) After attempting to compile Evergreen in step 5, the "configure"
script failed because it couldn't find the libdbi libraries and
installed by the Makefile.install, including the associated pgsql
driver (Step 5(I)). The solution was to skip ahead to Step 20 and add
the /etc/ld.so.conf/eg.conf file and run "ldconfig" before doing the
"configure; make; make install" commands in Step 5 (thanks to the
friendly people on the Evergreen IRC channel for their help!). This
certainly wasn't an issue when I had previously installed Evergreen on
Ubuntu 8.04 desktop.

I'm guessing this will be the same for all fresh 1.4 installs, because of the new autotools infrastructure.

With these two changes to the install procedure, everything was up and
running in record time. If these two changes are sane, I'd be happy to
update the instructions on the DokuWiki.

Updating the wiki for #2 would be great.

-b

--
Bill Erickson