On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Melissa Belvadi <mbelv...@upei.ca> wrote:

>  Hi, I'm looking at one day's opensrf.log trying to figure out how I can
> extract from this a list of what actual user queries (search strings) users
> have done through the normal interface (eg not z3950).
>
> First, am I looking in the correct log file?
>
> Second, can anyone tell me what kind of pattern to look for to grep out
> just the lines that contain the user's keyword string? Once I know I'm
> looking at the right kinds of lines, I can figure out how to extract the
> query string out from the rest of the line.

Hi Melissa,

The most common OPAC searches (patron and staff) can be found with something
like this:

grep osrf_json activity.log | grep multiclass

>From there you can slice and dice the query (which is JSON encoded) into
various forms.

Also, note, in a syslog environment, there is usually an "activity.log" file
where the web requests come in.  If you don't have such a file, the same
data will be in the "gateway.log" file.

Hope this helps.

-b

--