I'm not entirely sure what the event parameter does but we have it set on
ours - as far as I know, it was set that way by default when it was
originally implemented (before my time). We also have our PMC split out
because  the documentation for it says that it should be separate:
http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/dev/_patron_message_center.html

Terran McCanna
PINES Program Manager
Georgia Public Library Service