Hi All,

I spent some time over the last few days considering alternatives to our
current Apache Websocket gateway setup, mainly because of
https://bugs.launchpad.net/opensrf/+bug/1774703.  While I have no doubt we
could resolve these issues in time, it occurred to me the setup we have now
is difficult to debug.

In the time since our Apache websocket code first appeared (2012) the
websocketd project came about (2014 --
https://github.com/joewalnes/websocketd).  I appreciate its simplicity and
language agnosticism, so I ported the OpenSRF websocket gateway code to a
websocketd-compatible backend for experimentation.  So far, it's gone
better than anticipated.  I'm running it on my dev VM instead
apache2-websockets for the browser client.  I've also written a perl test
script (included in the opensrf branch), and the new code so far handles
very high message throughput without issue, where the apache code sometimes
locks up.

I put together a wiki page to summarize and document the setup:

https://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=dev:websockets:gateway:websocketd

I'm curious what folks think about this.  If anyone wants to test, I'm
happy to assist where needed.

Thanks,

-b