i guess yyou couldeither delete the original one which is used as the
default and create a new one  or you can create a new one and use use the
circulation scripts  to attach that new rule to some particular groups of
users or  all users.

i know  that you can see  the books which are long overdue in your opac
and  messages can  also be sent to users  which they can view on their
opac.i also know there is email nottification of holds but i  dont know
whether or not its supported for books.u will need some further
clarification from someone else for that
.cheers