Hello Lori,

We'll be doing something similar to Mohawk College with regards to interacting
with our Peoplesoft system and find Evergreen offers us significantly more
success than with our previous systems (III & Unicorn) for this type of
integration. Our experience so far is EG is very transparent and open to
integration better than any previous ILS we've maintained (Unicorn /
Millennium). As the community grows, we can anticipate that the various
integration experiences will be shared, often with working code to help you get
that integration going faster and more cost effectively than with other
systems. Furthermore, no funny "extras" to purchase. [1]

The Peoplesoft interaction will give us a much more complete patron database
and set us up for the next step which would be to have 'single sign on' for
Evergreen vs. local network login via LDAP authentication.

In regards to their concerns about integration with other systems, I hope they
have similar concerns about non-open source options too, since many of us have
moved to open source specificially because of the non-availabilty or only wonky
options for system integration with the proprietary systems.

George
George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan

[1] To cite two examples from from proprietary vendor X, they sell a "Backup
API" and a "Patron API" add-on products to allow enterprise backup and student
directory integration respectively. I'm all for paying for innovation, but both
of these products fall into the suckers category IMHO. It's kind of like buying
a car, but then having to buy the "drive to work package"  to permit you to
pull out of your driveway, or the "car door installation package" for those
basic safety feature "enhancements". These products should make people's blood
boil because of their basic engineering: we won't give you the minimal
documentation or the 1 to 5 lines of code required to interact with our system,
so we create this "helpful" product just for you to do this very, very, very
challenging task, etc.