I believe 2.1 has my staff client build system changes in place. Thus a quick "make linux-client" will build a client and make a tar.bz out of it for copying to elsewhere.

Make updates-clients will do that, build updates for automatic updates, and install things in places that the manual update page(/updates/manualupdate.html via a web browser) can find them at.

Thomas Berezansky
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium

Quoting Anoop Atre <anoop.a...@mnsu.edu>:

Hi Buzzy
This is what I usually do instead of compiling the client again on my Ubuntu desktop. Note that we run Ubuntu servers and have not had any issues using this method of testing out staff clients. I am pretty sure that there shouldn't be cross distro issues either.

On the Evergreen server I tar up the "Open-ILS/xul/staff_client/build" directory found in the Evergreen source directory where you compiled and installed the system.

Then on the desktop I untar it into say build_2_1_1, so I can have multiple versions of the build directory for multiple test server versions.

Next I start up the client by running the appropriate xulrunner version required, currently we use xulrunner-1.9.2, and passing the application initialization file path (application.ini).

Example:
/usr/bin/xulrunner-1.9.2 /home/evergreen/client/build_2_1_1/application.ini &

Other options you can pass to xulrunner:

To enable a console, start xulrunner with the -console argument. Note that -console goes after the application.ini argument: e.g. xulrunner /path/to/application.ini -console

To be able to pick from multiple profiles you can pass a -P which also allows you to create a new profile. e.g. xulrunner /path/to/application.ini -P

To allow multiple instance to run at the same time you can use -no-remote. e.g. xulrunner /path/to/application.ini -no-remote

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers