Hi Sara,

I was a little busy yesterday and only had time to send out an e-mail about the copy location code that has been submitted, however I do want to take some time to address your initial comments.

I have heard that the staff client search screens are going away / no longer being developed and that collective energies are being put into developing the public side search access.

I don't know the circumstances under which this information was conveyed nor do I know the details of your Evergreen implementation. However, after re-reading your e-mail this morning, I'm guessing that you are probably on an Evergreen instance where the template toolkit catalog is being used as the public catalog while the older, javascript catalog is still being used in the staff client.

I thought it might be useful if I gave some background into the reasons behind the change. The move to template toolkit was made to improve catalog performance as well as to make it easier for sites to customize the catalog. I don't know about you, but, when we were on the javascript catalog, we saw many of our searches resulting in blank white screens that needed to be reloaded. That problem has gone away in the template toolkit catalog, and we've seen better performance in the catalog than we did with the javascript catalog. I personally also find that the interface is much friendlier in the template toolkit catalog, but I guess that's a matter of opinion.

There was never an intent to make the template toolkit catalog a public catalog with the javascript catalog being a staff client catalog, though some sites may have chosen to implement it that way during the transition to template toolkit. Many features more heavily used by staff were carried over from the javascript catalog to the template toolkit catalog, including the numeric search and the MARC expert search. In fact, there are some new features that staff might find useful, like the recent search history that is only available in the staff client.

Indeed, there are some features that did not make it from the javascript catalog to the template toolkit catalog. We've been keeping a list at http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=dev:opac:template-toolkit:plan with corresponding Launchpad bug entries for each of the features. The features weren't intentionally omitted in an effort to make the catalog friendlier to the public. Instead, it's really a result of the fact that the developers were building a new catalog from the ground up, and it takes time to build in all of the features we want to carry over from the previous catalog.

If there are other features from the javascript catalog that people are sorely missing, I recommend that you add your voice by posting comments on the corresponding Launchpad bug entries or clicking the "affects me too" link.

This is also critical for retrieving statistical information.

I would not recommend using the catalog as a reporting tool. Once you hit a certain number of results, the results retrieved count will be an estimate, much in the same way that Google estimates the total number of search results. Your best bet is to use the staff client reporting tool to retrieve statistical information on copy locations.

Feel free to let us know if you have any other questions or concerns! I think it's important that we have an open discussion about these issues so that we can continue to tweak and improve the catalog.

Kathy


Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator
Massachusetts Library Network Cooperative
(508) 343-0128
[email protected]
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/kmlussier

On 8/15/2013 12:05 PM, J. Paulk wrote:
I have heard that the staff client search screens are going away / no longer being developed and that collective energies are being put into developing the public side search access. Please, please, please to any developers and designers out there. We CONSTANTLY use the search limit of shelving location as a way of fine tuning searches. This is also critical for retrieving statistical information. Can ya'll PLEASE include shelving location as a filter in whatever searching models are used or being thought about.

would be much appreciated.

J. Sara Paulk, Regional Director
Wythe-Grayson Regional Library

Reply via email to