From: Open-ils-general
[mailto:open-ils-general-boun...@list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Rogan
Hamby
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 2:25 PM
To: Evergreen Discussion Group <open-ils-general@list.georgialibraries.org>
Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Method for collection inventory

There are a lot of inventory related reports that are easier to do in sql than
the reporter (if possible in the reporter at all) due to what they need.  Many
of these would also be good for weeding also and I've built them into the IDL
in the past so that they could be more accessible to staff.

Another thing inventory needs is a good way to batch upload and handle items
conditionally.  Right now the staff doing it through the item status screen is
the best work around we have.  Another process is to have staff feeding
barcodes in batches to someone with sql access and they're passing reports
back.  That workflow can be more efficient but is also more convoluted from a
"what humans have to keep track of" angle and it may not worth the gains so
you're back to scanning things into the item status screen.  Honestly,
development is really needed for a proper inventory module*.

There have been proposals floated around for better inventory support but
they've so far lacked the critical momentum to get the funding gathered for it.

* I hate calling functional areas in an ILS modules because that's a by product
of commercial ILSes separating things out artificially for contractual purposes
but it seems to have become a core part of library terminology.

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 12:28 PM, Thomas Berezansky