Hi all,

It's hard to believe, but we're just a month away from feature slush for the 2.12 release.

As I mentioned in my RM proposal, my main goal for this release is to have the web client ready for trial production use. There have been many bug fixes and new functionality added to the web client over the past couple of months. Many thanks to Galen Charlton, Jason Etheridge, Mike Rylander, Bill Erickson, Kyle Huckins, and Billy Horn for their web client code contributions that have have been merged into Evergreen since November.

DIG has also incorporated web client documentation into its two upcoming hackaway days on February 17 and March 16, a big step towards getting good documentation in the hands of the people who will be using the new client.

However, there is still a lot of work left to be done on the web client. Therefore, I am recommending that we schedule a Web Client Hacking Day where folks can focus on working on web client bug fixes and other tasks that will make the transition to the web client go more smoothly for our users. Ideally, this event would be scheduled on a day when developers with the most web client experience are available to answer questions. In addition to working on code, other contributors might want to help by testing available code or helping with the web client documentation.

I've scheduled a Doodle poll for dates at the end of this month. If you're interested in participating, please fill out the poll at http://doodle.com/poll/r77w6ci3a5urcyrz by the end of the day Wednesday, January 11.

I've spent some time looking through the current web client bugs that have been reported in Launchpad. Due to much of the progress that has been made over the past few months, I see only one bug that I would consider to be a release blocker for using the web client on a trial basis. The renew and edit due date bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1437109, which is dependent on the code at https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1485374, is something that is important for production use, even if staff have a XUL client running at the same time, because it's a task that's performed quite frequently at circ desks.

Although they are not release blockers, there are other bugs that are important for a smooth transition to the web client. I'll be highlighting some of those on a regular basis and also before the web client hacking day to see if we can get some eyes on them. If any of you think there is a very important web client bug that should be highlighted, feel free to let me know.

I also wanted to mention that I'm planning to do more aggressive merging of the web client collab branch in the weeks that lead up to the release to make it easier for more people to contribute code to the web client.

Feel free to let me know if you have any comments or questions. I hope many of you can help out on web client hacking day!

Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator