The Evergreen community is pleased to announce the release of Evergreen
2.12. The release is available on the Evergreen downloads page at
With this release, we strongly encourage the community to start using
the new web client on a trial basis in production. All current Evergreen
functionality is available in the web client with the exception of
serials and offline circulation. The web client is scheduled to be
available for full production use with the September 3.0 release.
Other notable new features and enhancements for 2.12 include:
* Overdrive and OneClickdigital integration. When configured, patrons
will be able to see ebook availability in search results and on the
record summary page. They will also see ebook checkouts and holds in
* Improvements to metarecords that include:
o improvements to the bibliographic fingerprint to prevent the
system from grouping different parts of a work together and to
better distinguish between the title and author in the fingerprint;
o the ability to limit the “Group Formats & Editions” search by
format or other limiters;
o improvements to the retrieval of e-resources in a “Group Formats
& Editions” search;
o and the ability to jump to other formats and editions of a work
directly from the record summary page.
* The removal of advanced search limiters from the basic search box,
with a new widget added to the results page where users can see and
easily remove those limiters.
* A change to topic, geographic and temporal subject browse indexes
that will display the entire heading as a unit rather than
displaying individual subject terms separately.
* Support for right-to-left languages, such as Arabic, in the public
catalog. Arabic has also become a new officially-supported language
* A new hold targeting service supporting new targeting options and
runtime optimizations to speed up targeting.
* In the web staff client, the ability to apply merge profiles in the
record bucket merge and Z39.50 interfaces.
* The ability to display copy alerts when recording in-house use.
* The ability to ignore punctuation, such as hyphens and apostrophes,
when performing patron searches.
* Support for recognition of client time zones, particularly useful
for consortia spanning time zones.
Evergreen 2.12 also requires PostgreSQL 9.3, with a recommendation that
sites upgrade to PostgreSQL 9.4. It also requires the 2.5 release of
OpenSRF. The full feature set for this release is available in the 2.12
Release Notes at
As with all Evergreen releases, many hands contributed to a successful
release process. The release is a result of code, documentation, and
translation contributions from 46 people representing 23 organizations
in the community, along with financial contributions from nine Evergreen
sites that commissioned development. Many thanks to everyone who helped
make this release happen!
Massachusetts Library Network Cooperative