> > I've been running a CentOS server connected to a Promise VTrak m500i
> > via open-iscsi quite successfully for over a year now.  A few days ago
> > the performance plummeted on the drive and I'm seeing the following
> > messages in my log file:
>
> > Jan 14 09:06:13 flax kernel: iscsi-sfnet:host7: ping timeout of 5 secs
> > expired, last rx 161502341, last ping 161507
> > 341, now 161512341
>
> What kernel and open-iscsi version are you using? This looks like
> something from the open-iscsi.org test release (also in scsi-misc and in
> the future RHEL 5.1 kernel).

I'm running CentOS 4.5.

Here's my iscsi release:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# rpm --query -a | grep iscsi
iscsi-initiator-utils-4.0.3.0-5

Here's my kernel info:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# uname -a
Linux flax.daxsolutions.com 2.6.9-55.0.9.ELsmp #1 SMP

> Did you just upgrade the kernel or tools?

No.  That's what's weird.  It's been running fine for months and then
all of a sudden, last Thursday, these messages started showing up.  I
thought it might be a problem with the switch so about an hour ago I
moved all the ethernet cabling to alternative ports on the switch, but
that didn't resolve the problem.

> Ever X seconds the initiator will send a nop to check the target. You
> can control this with the noop settings in /etc/iscsi/iscsi.conf. If it
> does not get a response it will drop the session and retry commands. It
> looks like this happened here.
>
> > Jan 14 09:06:13 flax kernel: iscsi-sfnet:host7: Session dropped
> > Jan 14 09:06:13 flax kernel: iscsi-sfnet:host7: Failing command cdb
> > 0x28 task 264952 with return code = 0x20000
> > <snip>
> > Jan 14 09:06:13 flax kernel: iscsi-sfnet:host7: Failing command cdb
> > 0x28 task 264959 with return code = 0x20000
> > Jan 14 09:06:13 flax kernel: iscsi-sfnet:host7: Failing command cdb
> > 0x8a task 264960 with return code = 0x20000
> > Jan 14 09:06:13 flax kernel: iscsi-sfnet:host7: Waiting 2 seconds
> > before next login attempt
> > Jan 14 09:06:15 flax kernel: iscsi-sfnet:host7: Session established
>
> Then we were able to log back in right away.
>
> So either there was a problem at the target/network and we did not get a
> iscsi ping response, or if you just upgraded to some new code and are
> not seeing it maybe there is a bug in there.

I'll look into this noop stuff.  The thing is, I can do a flood ping
from the host to the Promise array and it doesn't lose any packets at
all.  Why would the iscsi miss a packet.

And, since I have you on the hook right now, I'm curious to know why
the iscsi-sfnet is listing "host7" as the host.  It seems like each
time I restarted the iscsi daemom this increments.  That doesn't seem
normal.

I'll get back after testing the noop params.

Thanks,
W.