I see that you were able to resolve this problem.  I had a similar
problem so I'll state the resolution here for posterity.

My problem was that the shutdown scripts didn't seem to be ordered
properly.  The network was getting shut down before iscsi had a chance
to clear the cache, so the iscsi daemon was hanging.  I reordered the
scripts and it started working.  I know this isn't recommended, but it
worked for me.