Hi,

  I've been recommended by Mike Christie to perform raw benchmarks with
disktest:

  for reads:

  disktest -PT -T30  -K32 -B128k -ID /dev/sdXYZ -h1

  for writes:

  disktest -PT -T30  -K32 -B128k -ID /dev/sdXYZ -h1 -D 0:100

  I'm testing virtual machines using iSCSI. Virtual Server has a
bottleneck with the network emulation. It works fine for the rest of the
services but not for iSCSI.

  I've tried with VMware, and honestly, the best performance I get is
using the iSCSI Windows initiator and create the virtual hard drive on
the Windows partition that I create through iSCSI.

  However, I'm still trying to compare direct iSCSI from linux versus
hard drives created on iSCSI windows partitions but using the
filesystem. I've tried using:

  dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/virtualdata1/zero bs=4096 count=1572864

  dd if=/mnt/virtualdata1/zero of=/dev/null bs=4096

  and then I get very low performances (around 10-14 MB/s) or even less.

  While testing raw performance the difference is huge:

   disk on iSCSI Windows Reads: 1759.08MB/s Writes: 93.70MB/s

   disk using open-iscsi  Reads: 35.84MB/s Writes: 57.39MB/s

    I've tried changing MTU, and only changing the scheduler to noop I
get better reads performance.

    But when It comes to filesystem, apparently performances are pretty
more the same. Maybe dd is not very reliable? (I've tested it and kill
the process in about one minute and the numbers vary a lot)

    Miguel