Folks,

I'm working on a setup where I connect to several iSCSI targets, then
setup raid-5 on those iSCSI target volumes (The iSCSI targets are
themselves raid devices, we are adding a raid-5 layer here to cover the
case of a controller/target failure).  We use this very large
raid5-of-iscsi-targets as an LVM volume group so that we can carve out
logical volumes that safely span across multiple iscsi targets.  We then
present these LVM volumes as iSCSI targets using IET.

In general, this seems to work OK, but when shoving large writes to the
constructed iscsi target we see very bursty writes.  It will write
quickly for about 30 seconds, then falter to almost nothing for 20
seconds, then resume quick operations, and repeat.  This is visible both
from the fact that during the 20 seconds of slow the filesystem is
unresponsive, and also that the network use goes drastically lower
during that time.

I'm wondering a couple of things:

1) Is there any known problem with passing through two layers of iscsi?

2) Is this type of bursty traffic normal?

3) This may be related to the queue_depth filling up - is there an easy
way to see the depth of the queue in real time? (Not the setting, but
the actual state of the queue)

I know the setup is a bit convoluted, so here another view of it.  The
physical data blocks are on the left, becoming more layered to the right
until we hit our "production" servers. (This is all pre-production now)

SATA_disks -> Raid6_controller -> IET(blockio) -> (next box) ->
open-iscsi -> md_raid5 -> lvm -> Logical_volume -> IET(blockio) -> (next
box) -> open-iscsi -> filesystem_on_production_server

It is when writing to that filesystem the problem becomes pronounced.

Any insight that anyone has on this would be very welcome.

Thanks,

-Ty!

--
  Ty! Boyack