Mike Christie wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> When the iscsi scripts run they assume the network is ready to go. This
>> may not be the case for lots of different reasons, and to get around
>> this we have the login retry param in iscsi.conf. What we really want is
>> the login retry param, combined with the ability to know that the
>> network is up. To do this, I have been looking at libdbus and netreport,
>> in the hope that when the network is up, we can just fire off "iscsiadm
>> -m node -L automatic".
>>
>> Before I do this though, I wanted to see if anyone have any opinion on
>> dbus or netreport? Will one be a problem for any distro?
>>

> Oh yeah, here is a really basic patch for netreport usage. Right now it
> is really dumb, since we do not konw if the network is going up or down,
> and all we do is try to login to the records marked autoatmic. We of
> course should only waste our time trying to log in when the network is
> up and should try to figure out if it is a interface we even care about.

I doubt this will help.

The problem we're facing here is due to network routing in the connected
switches.
When using static IP addresses the switch has to set-up the route from
the initiator to the requested target using the tree-spanning algorithm.
This will take some time to setup, during which any connect() attempt
from the initiator will fail with -EHOSTUNREACH.

But as the in-kernel iSCSI tcp code is essentially stateless, it cannot
differentiate between failures upon startup (where EHOSTUNREACH might
be retried) and real failures during normal operations (where
EHOSTUNREACH is indeed a critical failure).

Note, this is while the network card has signalled the network is up,
as from the POV of the card it is.

We could circumvent this by pinging a target marked as automatic upon
startup, but of course this will fail if no targets are configured ...

So this a real bugger. And I have no idea how to solve it properly.

That's why I'm using DHCP. There the routes are already setup as
the DHCP reply somehow has to find its way back to the initiator ...

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                   zSeries & Storage
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                             +49 911 74053 688