Sparqz wrote:
> /var/log/messages from sles10 i586 server:

Was there anything else in the log about a nop-out or iscsi ping timing out?

> kernel:  connection2:0: iscsi: detected conn error (1011)
> iscsid: detected iSCSI connection 2:0 error (1011) state (3)

This indicates that there was a generic connection error. It could be
caused by a scsi command timing out and abort tasks to try and clean it
up failing, or a nop-out timing out, or the network error could have
detected a error, or the target could have dropped the sesssion/connection.

In your case it looks like a scsi command timed (by default this is 60
secs (see /sys/block/sdX/device/timeout)) out and this caused the scsi
error handler to run. That failed, so we went to session level recovery
and dropped the session.

> iscsid: connect failed (113)
> iscsid: connect failed (113)
> iscsid: connect failed (113)

The session/connection was dropped, and we tried to reconnect (we are at
the stage just trying to do a socket connection). It failed with
EHOSTUNREACH (No route to host).

> kernel:  session2: iscsi: session recovery timed out after 120 secs

We tried to reconnect for node.session.timeo.replacement_timeout (see
iscsi.conf for details) seconds, but could not so we failed the scsi
error handler (this put the devices in the offline state) and that
started failing commands.

> kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error
> recovery

So that explains what happened at the iscsi/scsi layers, but I am not
sure it is helpful about the why it happened :( Normally when a scsi
command times out and we cannot reconnect for 2 minutes, it is a driver
bug or the something bad happened on the target or network. I am not
sure what is in SLES, so if you could try the userspace tools and kernel
modules from upstream:
http://www.open-iscsi.org/bits/open-iscsi-2.0-865.15.tar.gz
http://www.open-iscsi.org/bits/open-iscsi-2.0-868-test1.tar.gz
it would help. Before installing the above, make sure you uninstall the
SLES iscsi tools (do a "whereis iscsid" to make sure the old tools are
removed before using the new ones), because I am not sure what is in SLES.