On Feb 22, 5:16 am, Mike Christie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sparqz wrote:
> > /var/log/messages from sles10 i586 server:
>
> Was there anything else in the log about a nop-out or iscsi ping timing out?

No, what you see is what you get in this case...

> > kernel:  connection2:0: iscsi: detected conn error (1011)
> > iscsid: detected iSCSI connection 2:0 error (1011) state (3)
>
> This indicates that there was a generic connection error. It could be
> caused by a scsi command timing out and abort tasks to try and clean it
> up failing, or a nop-out timing out, or the network error could have
> detected a error, or the target could have dropped the sesssion/connection.
>
> In your case it looks like a scsi command timed (by default this is 60
> secs (see /sys/block/sdX/device/timeout)) out and this caused the scsi
> error handler to run. That failed, so we went to session level recovery
> and dropped the session.
>
> > iscsid: connect failed (113)
> > iscsid: connect failed (113)
> > iscsid: connect failed (113)
>
> The session/connection was dropped, and we tried to reconnect (we are at
> the stage just trying to do a socket connection). It failed with
> EHOSTUNREACH (No route to host).
>
> > kernel:  session2: iscsi: session recovery timed out after 120 secs
>
> We tried to reconnect for node.session.timeo.replacement_timeout (see
> iscsi.conf for details) seconds, but could not so we failed the scsi
> error handler (this put the devices in the offline state) and that
> started failing commands.
>
> > kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error
> > recovery
>
> So that explains what happened at the iscsi/scsi layers, but I am not
> sure it is helpful about the why it happened :( Normally when a scsi
> command times out and we cannot reconnect for 2 minutes, it is a driver
> bug or the something bad happened on the target or network. I am not
> sure what is in SLES, so if you could try the userspace tools and kernel
> modules from
> upstream:http://www.open-iscsi.org/bits/open-iscsi-2.0-865.15.tar.gzhttp://www.open-iscsi.org/bits/open-iscsi-2.0-868-test1.tar.gz
> it would help. Before installing the above, make sure you uninstall the
> SLES iscsi tools (do a "whereis iscsid" to make sure the old tools are
> removed before using the new ones), because I am not sure what is in SLES.

Here are some version numbers to mull over from SLES10SP1 i586:

xyz:~ # modinfo libiscsi
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.16.54-0.2.5-bigsmp/kernel/drivers/
scsi/libiscsi.ko
license:        GPL
author:         Mike Christie
srcversion:     1B231B8F924EC0C453E2567
depends:        scsi_mod,scsi_transport_iscsi
supported:      yes
vermagic:       2.6.16.54-0.2.5-bigsmp SMP 586 REGPARM gcc-4.1

xyz:~ # modinfo scsi_transport_iscsi
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.16.54-0.2.5-bigsmp/kernel/drivers/
scsi/scsi_transport_iscsi.ko
version:        2.0-754
license:        GPL
author:         Mike Christie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dmitry Yusupov
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Alex Aizman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
srcversion:     EFE28A663136BA264DC431B
depends:        scsi_mod
supported:      yes
vermagic:       2.6.16.54-0.2.5-bigsmp SMP 586 REGPARM gcc-4.1

xyz:~ # modinfo iscsi_tcp
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.16.54-0.2.5-bigsmp/kernel/drivers/
scsi/iscsi_tcp.ko
license:        GPL
author:         Dmitry Yusupov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Alex Aizman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
srcversion:     64B40B87D6791C1AD7D6548
depends:        libiscsi,scsi_transport_iscsi,scsi_mod
supported:      yes
vermagic:       2.6.16.54-0.2.5-bigsmp SMP 586 REGPARM gcc-4.1
parm:           max_lun:uint

xyz:~ # rpm -qa | grep scsi
open-iscsi-2.0.707-0.24

xyz:~ # iscsid -v
iscsid version 2.0-754

These are production servers, so I can't really 'mess' around with
compiling source and loading drivers from outside the distribution's
packages (sles).  I might see if I can assimilate some server hardware
and run tests on that.  I have people screaming at me for more space,
some people want 10 to 20 TB of space, and if I can't get open-iscsi
to work for us I'll either have to buy iscsi HBAs, or switch to the
more expensive FC route I-: