Erez Zilber wrote:
> Mike,
>
> We're trying to solve a problem, but first the motivation: a user may
> want to stop the InfiniBand modules (/etc/init.d/openibd stop) while
> open-iscsi is running. In order to do that, we must remove ib_iser.
>
> Now, the question: is it ok to modprobe -r ib_iser (or iscsi_tcp) before

It is and it isn't :)

> stopping iscsid? From what I see in the init.d scripts in open-iscsi, we
> kill iscsid first. Is there a reason for that?

We kill iscsid first because it has a ref to scsi_transport_iscsi (load
that module and run iscsid and then do a lsmod). So if you ran iscsid,
then just modprobe -r ib_iser, it would leave scsi_transport_iscsi loaded.

The iscsi script will also remove the running sessions, before killing
iscsid, because if there is a session running then ib_iser would also
have a module refcount greater than 0, and the modprobe -r would fail.

There is also a bug in iscsid (iscsi_sysfs.c) where if iscsid had
detected ib_iser it would grab (iscsi_sysfs.c:read_transports) the
transport handle for it. And if you were to unload and reload it, then
iscsid is not picking up the new transport handle (transport handle is
just the pointer value of that iscsi_transport remember). So if you made
the module loading and unloading more dynamic but did not restart
iscsid, you have to just tweak iscsi_sysfs.c:read_transports to pick up
the new handles.