Mike Christie wrote:
> Erez Zilber wrote:
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> We're trying to solve a problem, but first the motivation: a user may
>> want to stop the InfiniBand modules (/etc/init.d/openibd stop) while
>> open-iscsi is running. In order to do that, we must remove ib_iser.
>>
>> Now, the question: is it ok to modprobe -r ib_iser (or iscsi_tcp) before
>>

> It is and it isn't :)
>

>> stopping iscsid? From what I see in the init.d scripts in open-iscsi, we
>> kill iscsid first. Is there a reason for that?
>>

> We kill iscsid first because it has a ref to scsi_transport_iscsi (load
> that module and run iscsid and then do a lsmod). So if you ran iscsid,
> then just modprobe -r ib_iser, it would leave scsi_transport_iscsi loaded.

If I run /etc/init.d/openibd stop, it will (with a patch that I'm going
to submit) call iscsi_conn_failure for all iSER connections, and then
remove ib_iser. scsi_transport_iscsi will be removed later when
/etc/init.d/iscsi stop is called. BTW - libiscsi will also remain loaded
and will be removed when iscsi is stopped.

> The iscsi script will also remove the running sessions, before killing
> iscsid, because if there is a session running then ib_iser would also
> have a module refcount greater than 0, and the modprobe -r would fail.

This won't happen with the new patch (will send it today).

> There is also a bug in iscsid (iscsi_sysfs.c) where if iscsid had
> detected ib_iser it would grab (iscsi_sysfs.c:read_transports) the
> transport handle for it. And if you were to unload and reload it, then
> iscsid is not picking up the new transport handle (transport handle is
> just the pointer value of that iscsi_transport remember). So if you made
> the module loading and unloading more dynamic but did not restart
> iscsid, you have to just tweak iscsi_sysfs.c:read_transports to pick up
> the new handles.

I will take a look at it and try to send a patch.

Erez