Erez Zilber wrote:
> Mike Christie wrote:
>> Erez Zilber wrote:
>>
>>> Mike,
>>>
>>> We're trying to solve a problem, but first the motivation: a user may
>>> want to stop the InfiniBand modules (/etc/init.d/openibd stop) while
>>> open-iscsi is running. In order to do that, we must remove ib_iser.
>>>
>>> Now, the question: is it ok to modprobe -r ib_iser (or iscsi_tcp) before
>>>
>> It is and it isn't :)
>>

>>> stopping iscsid? From what I see in the init.d scripts in open-iscsi, we
>>> kill iscsid first. Is there a reason for that?
>>>

>> We kill iscsid first because it has a ref to scsi_transport_iscsi (load
>> that module and run iscsid and then do a lsmod). So if you ran iscsid,
>> then just modprobe -r ib_iser, it would leave scsi_transport_iscsi loaded.
>>

> If I run /etc/init.d/openibd stop, it will (with a patch that I'm going
> to submit) call iscsi_conn_failure for all iSER connections, and then
> remove ib_iser. scsi_transport_iscsi will be removed later when

This does not sound right or even possible with current kernels. If a
session is runing and scsi_devices exists for it and if a user has a
device open then there are references to the ib_iser module.

If the user does a close then it needs the scsi_host_tempalte that was
allocated in the ib_iser module. For libiscsi/scsi_transport_iscsi there
is similar problems with the those modules accessing the iscsi_transport
struct allocated in the module.

The thing is that scsi-ml should be incrementing the ib_iser refcount if
a device is open. And open-iscsi should be incrementing the ib_iser
refctoun if there is a session. So you should not be able to remove the
ib_iser module if there are connections.

> /etc/init.d/iscsi stop is called. BTW - libiscsi will also remain loaded
> and will be removed when iscsi is stopped.
>
>> The iscsi script will also remove the running sessions, before killing
>> iscsid, because if there is a session running then ib_iser would also
>> have a module refcount greater than 0, and the modprobe -r would fail.
>>

> This won't happen with the new patch (will send it today).

I do not see how your patch works. As far as libiscsi knows there are
still sessions right? Is the openib script stopping sessions and
unmounting file systems?