Hi Mike,

Mike Christie wrote:
> Hannes Reinecke wrote:
>> For boot from iSCSI we need to the fwparam_ibft program
>> to setup the network correctly. This patch moves the
>> fwparam_ibft files into a library and adds a new program
>> fwparam_ibft to print out the network parameter.
>>

> Why do you need a new program to print out the network info? I was
> working on the same problem, and was working on a patch to print it out
> with the rest of the ibft info. The patch was made over some RHEL/FC
> stuff that is used with the ibft sysfs module Konrad did (I or Konard
> will post the rest of the code later (I thought he had, but I did not
> see it on the list)).

Note that this is basically backwards-compability, ie for systems where
there is not iBFT info in sysfs. For those we (or at lease I) need this
program.

> I am not sure I care much which one we do. I just do not like the extra
> program because it is one more thing to remember, so I started the way I
> did.

Yep, it's okay for mainline. But having the sad task to support backwards
compability I still have to get the information from somewhere.

> Oh yeah, have you tried the ppc stuff yet? What does it print out for
> the netdevice? The ibft kernel module links to the net device sysfs dir
> which is nice, so you do not have to match MAC addrs.

Actually, no, I haven't tried the ppc stuff. But as it's using the same
interface it should work, too. Famous last words :-)

> Also what you going to do for DHCP? Are you just going to use the ip
> values from ibft? Makes sense. I am just asking, because I noticed weird
> behavior for that with intel and broadcom cards, and were wondering if
> you saw the same.

The Broadcom cards I've tested with didn't support DHCP for iSCSI, and
no-one complained about it ... so I didn't really care. But yes, we
should ensure that DHCP works properly, too.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                   zSeries & Storage
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                             +49 911 74053 688