I'm trying to get open-iscsi to work on some systems that run kernel
2.6.16.  I'm using the "open-iscsi-2.0-865.15" release.  I can build
the source, but the iscsi_tcp module won't load.

On a production system where we only have very short windows for
maintenance,  after the init script runs, all attempts to invoke
"iscsiadm" hang for a while, and the following messages appear in the
kernel log:

iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol crypto_alloc_tfm
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol crypto_free_tfm

Here's the output of "lsmod":

Module                  Size  Used by
scsi_transport_iscsi    19980  -
dm_round_robin          3840  -
dm_multipath           18952  -
dm_mod                 50840  -
r8169                  25864  -

On a test system,  I built the exact same kernel release and open-
iscsi release.  (I couldn't use exactly the same kernel configuration
because some hardware is different.)  I can duplicate a similar, but
perhaps not the same, problem:  "iscsiadm" hangs,  and the messages in
the kernel log are different:

iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_eh_host_reset
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_update_cmdsn
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_conn_setup
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_verify_itt
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_pool_free
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_session_recovery_timedout
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol __iscsi_complete_pdu
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_conn_bind
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_host_get_param
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_session_setup
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol class_to_transport_session
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_eh_abort
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_conn_failure
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_complete_pdu
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_eh_device_reset
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_set_param
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_conn_get_param
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_conn_teardown
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_host_set_param
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_session_get_param
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_conn_send_pdu
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_conn_start
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_prep_unsolicit_data_pdu
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_pool_init
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_session_teardown
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_conn_stop
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_requeue_ctask
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_queuecommand
iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_change_queue_depth

Here's the output from lsmod:

Module                  Size  Used by
scsi_transport_iscsi    21640  1
crc32c                  1792  0
libcrc32c               2560  1 crc32c
dm_round_robin          2688  0
dm_multipath           13704  1 dm_round_robin
dm_mod                 37816  1 dm_multipath
e1000                  89140  0
tg3                    82308  0

The README file says that 2.6.16 is the minimum suitable kernel
release level.  Is that still correct?  Also, which modules do I need
to build in the kernel itself;  is it possible to build a certain
kernel and need only the user-space tools from open-iscsi?

--
David Lee Lambert
  Software Developer, Precision Motor Transport Group, LLC