> Niels de Carpentier wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately, this doesn't always work. Sometimes the OS will report
>> filesystem errors and mount the fs read-only. A short time later the
>> iscsi
>> targets will be reconnected, but the filesystem is already read-only by
>> then.
>>
>> The logs show (default iscsi transport 724 was used for this test):
>
> Could you send the parts of the log before the fs errors? We want to see
> how many conn errors there were and when they occured and when the
> replacement/recovery timeout fired.

These were actually the first error messages for that test. The I/O errors
happen almost instantly, and it takes almost 10 seconds after that to
detect the actual connection error. (After which it almost immediately
reconnects). Possibly this has something to do with the way I do the
switchover? (Remove  virtual IP address from one server and add it to the
other.)

> Could you also run
> iscsiadm -m node -T target -p ip:port
> for the root target and send the output?

#iscsiadm -m node -T iqn.2007-11.com.smys:storage.front003 -p 10.40.99.1:3260
iscsiadm: Config file line 47 too long.
node.name = iqn.2007-11.com.smys:storage.front003
node.tpgt = 1
node.startup = manual
iface.hwaddress = default
iface.iscsi_ifacename = default
iface.net_ifacename = default
iface.transport_name = tcp
node.discovery_address = 10.40.99.1
node.discovery_port = 3260
node.discovery_type = send_targets
node.session.initial_cmdsn = 0
node.session.initial_login_retry_max = 4
node.session.cmds_max = 32
node.session.queue_depth = 32
node.session.auth.authmethod = CHAP
node.session.auth.username = frontend
node.session.auth.password = ********
node.session.auth.username_in = <empty>
node.session.auth.password_in = <empty>
node.session.timeo.replacement_timeout = 86400
node.session.err_timeo.abort_timeout = 15
node.session.err_timeo.lu_reset_timeout = 30
node.session.err_timeo.host_reset_timeout = 60
node.session.iscsi.FastAbort = Yes
node.session.iscsi.InitialR2T = No
node.session.iscsi.ImmediateData = Yes
node.session.iscsi.FirstBurstLength = 262144
node.session.iscsi.MaxBurstLength = 16776192
node.session.iscsi.DefaultTime2Retain = 0
node.session.iscsi.DefaultTime2Wait = 2
node.session.iscsi.MaxConnections = 1
node.session.iscsi.MaxOutstandingR2T = 1
node.session.iscsi.ERL = 0
node.conn[0].address = 10.40.99.1
node.conn[0].port = 3260
node.conn[0].startup = manual
node.conn[0].tcp.window_size = 524288
node.conn[0].tcp.type_of_service = 0
node.conn[0].timeo.logout_timeout = 15
node.conn[0].timeo.login_timeout = 30
node.conn[0].timeo.auth_timeout = 45
node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_interval = 0
node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_timeout = 0
node.conn[0].iscsi.MaxRecvDataSegmentLength = 131072
node.conn[0].iscsi.HeaderDigest = None,CRC32C
node.conn[0].iscsi.DataDigest = None
node.conn[0].iscsi.IFMarker = No
node.conn[0].iscsi.OFMarker = No

Some values have changed since the log I send you:

node.session.cmds_max 128 -> 32
node.session.iscsi.InitialR2T Yes -> No
DefaultTime2Retain 20 -> 86400
DefaultTime2Wait 2 -> 10

> And could you run
>
> cat /sys/class/iscsi_session/session1/recovery_tmo
>
> (session1 is the session for the root disk right. If not replace the one
> with whatever number it is).
>
> and send that outpout?

#cat /sys/class/iscsi_session/session1/recovery_tmo
86400

>> Apr 21 11:35:40 front003 iscsid: connection1:0 is operational after
>> recovery (1 attempts)
>>

> This is weird, because it only took one recovery attempt, so it looks
> like it was a really short outage and should have been back within the
> replacement you set.

The outage is probably 15-20 seconds, while the target is switched over to
another server. The actual reconnect is to another identically configured
server/target. The weird thing is the timeline:

11:35:25 I/O errors
11:35:36 connection error detected
11:35:40 reconnected

Niels