since I am not familiar with traversing the labyrinth of "Gentoo'ism"
... (at least for now,) ...

I downloaded the open-iscsi-ebuild tarball, place into a
/usr/local/portage/sys-block/open-iscsi directory and followed the
steps on How to Install 3rdParty ebduild:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_3rd_Party_Ebuilds

It actually worked for me .. I got it to install, and now am in the
process of configuring for iscsiroot ...

crossing my fingers, hoping it would work.

- a.

--
A S P A S I A