a s p a s i a wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> the last issue is reported by another person - albert...., I initiated
> this thread, I think we are getting similar symptoms/errors:
>
>> What kernel are you using? I thought from the beginning of the thread
>> you were using 2.6.18-53.1.14.el. Is that right?
>
> Yes, that is right - that is the original thread - one of my iscsi
> hosts, which I have deployed into about 50 machines is running that
> above kernel - Centos 5.1;  and as we exchanged info earlier, it is
> running the following version of open-iscsi:
>  uname -a
> Linux r04s25 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5 #1 SMP Wed Mar 5 11:37:38 EST 2008
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# iscsiadm -V
> iscsiadm version 2.0-865
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# iscsistart -v
> iscsistart version 2.0-865
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# modinfo scsi_transport_iscsi
> filename:
> /lib/modules/2.6.18-53.1.14.el5/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_transport_iscsi.ko
> version:        2.0-865
>
> --------------
>
> In the last 2 days, I have deployed this iscsiRoot into about 50
> machines, where a few test/QA folks commenced testing on them.  During
> use ... they have noticed various symptoms such as:
>
> 1.  Root FileSystem becomes inaccessible, where one is unable to
> perform any further work;  networking seems to be ok (ping'able from
> the outside) but the session is stuck;  Meanwhile at the console, we
> see the following messages:
>
> scsi 6:0:0:0 rejecting I/O to dead device
> EXT3-fs error (device sde1)

I need more to the log. The parts above this would tell me what happened.

> Upon restarting the box, the iscsiRoot mounted fine and seems like it
> is ok again.
>
> 2.  This morning I checked the 3 other servers we left to observe and
> noticed I am unable to ssh into the box (ssh connection is denied), I
> walked over to check the console of one of the hosts the FS root is
> still there, I can ls and cd into various directories, but when I try
> to run a command such as "df" or "cat" to check the /var/log/messages
> file for instance I get the following error:
>
> iscsi:  cmd 0x28 is not queued (8)
> end_request: I/O error, dev sde sector 3389502
> -bash:  /bin/df:  Input/output error.

> These issues I observed on the hosts that are actually being used
> (running application tests, etc.) ... Another same box (my golden
> image) booted iscsiroot on same OS and open-iscsi version does not
> have problems, but it's not doing anything ....
>
> I know we discussed that I should upgrade ... should I upgrade to the
> current stable release?  Before I do, I'd like to know if the above
> are known errors and why?

Are you doing iscsi root for all boxes? If you are and you are using
Centos 5.1 then I would use iscsi with multipath. I would use iscsi +
multipath in general for all OSes and setups actually. I do not think
iscsi root + multipath is supported out of the box in 5.1 so if that is
not an option I would use the following settings:

node.session.timeo.replacement_timeout = 172800
node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_timeout = 0
node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_interval = 0

for the root session. You should set that in the node db for the session
that will be run as root.

If you are logged into the box and the session is running then do:

iscsiadm -m session -r $sid -o update -n
node.session.timeo.replacement_timeout -v 172800

$sid is the session id that you would see when you run iscsiadm -m
session -P 1

Then repeat this for each value and setting above.

If the session is not running then pass the target and portal info for
the portal that gets logged in for root.

iscsiadm -m node -T target -p ip:port -o update -n
node.session.timeo.replacement_timeout -v 172800

then repeat for the other values.

In either case the values will be used on the next reboot (or really
when the iscsi service is restarted but if you are running root we will
not restart the service or it will disrupt the root disk).