Hi Amir,

Mike Christie wrote:
> Amir Mehler wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> On open-iscsi, from April 2008 and on, when performing:
>>>
>> (on suse)
>>>    /etc/init.d/open-iscsi start
>>> a discovery is done in line 126:
>>>    iscsiadm -m discovery -t st -p "$TARGET_ADDR" > /dev/null 2>&1
>>> This line, and others, were added by Hannes Reinecke on Apr 09 2008.
>>>
>>> The problem with this discovery is that it modifies old session
>>> parameters of the nodes.
Yes, it does with the stock open-iscsi distribution.
For SUSE I've added a patch to change the default.

>>> two important session parameters change:
>>> iface.transport_name = tcp (was iser after first discovery)
>>> node.conn[0].startup = manual (was automatic after first discovery)
>>>
>>> I do not understand why Hannes used exactly this kind of discovery.
>>> when I replaced the original line with this one it solved the problem
>>> I had:
>>>    iscsi_discovery $TARGET_ADDR > /dev/null 2>&1
>>>
>>> does this change harm the original purpose of the discovery?
No. But I'm not sure if we're distributing the iscsi_discovery script
per default. If we do then this should indeed be a valid alternative.

>>> if it does please explain, otherwise I would like to suggest the
>>> patch below.
>>> (maybe we can add something to the iscsi_discovery script to make up
>>> for it?)
>>>
>>> Thank you, Amir.
>>> ----------------
>>> The suse init.d file runs discovery via iscsiadm.
>>> This causes changes in existing iscsi node parameters.
>>> Using iscsi_discovery solves this problem.
>>>
>> Mike, if you can take a look, I would to hear your opinion about this.
>> Thanks, Amir.
>>

> I do not really touch Hannes script unless I am updating it. I am not
> even sure if suse distributes iscsi_discovery? I ccd Hannes so he could
> make the call.
>

> However, if you do not want to overwrite existing records you can do
>
> iscsiadm -m discovery -t st -p ip:port [-o new | -o delete | -o update ]
>
> You can actually pass in multiple operations so if you wanted to just
> add and delete nodes you can do
>
> iscsiadm -m discovery -t st -p ip:port -o new -o delete
>
> existing records will not get changed.
Yes, I noticed. I've actually added a patch to the SUSE rpm to make this
the default. Backwards compability again; some folk complained that
calling 'iscsiadm ....' (ie without any '-o' option) did indeed
overwrite existing nodes, which it didn't do on previous versions.
So I've had to add a patch to make this the default.

Ah, sometimes you really love backwards compability ...

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                   zSeries & Storage
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                             +49 911 74053 688