Hi Doron,

Doron Shoham wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Why does the init script on suse re-discovers all iscsi targets which were
>> set
>> to automatic login?
>> To avoid deadlocks on the root fs there is patch which limits the number of
>> retries on first login.
>> When doing so, it sets back all the default parameters (overriding any user
>> definitions).
>> I think it should be like in redhat - just login to all the targets which
>> are automatic.

That's what we tried initially. However, certain switches take quite a bit of
time for the Spanning-Tree
Protocol to work out the route, during which time any connect() attempt returns
with -EHOSTUNREACH.
If we do an automatic login, the login request is sent from the kernel
directly. And any connect()
failure from the kernel is taken as a terminal error, hence the login fails.
The best we can do here is to make this re-discovery conditional, which would
allow customers not
suffering from STP failures to get a faster booting time.

>> Another issue is that the script logouts only from automatic nodes (not from
>> all nodes as in redhat).
>> This causes a bug, when iscsi is stopped while manual node is still
>> logged-in (session is active).
>> The result is that iscsid is down but session is still alive - iscsiadm -m
>> session shows this stale session.
>> I suggest that we do the same as redhat, any objections?

Ouch. You touched a very complicated topic. I've had long discussions and
patches with NetApp on
how to get iscsi shutdown right. It's not only that we have stale nodes (which
would be ok, given
that we're shutting down anyway), but it's also well possible that some crucial
filesystem bits
are in fact served by iSCSI, so we definitely shouldn'd be shutting them down,
regardless of any
automatic settings.

There's a bugzilla open to get this right (Novell bug#392080), you're welcome
to join and get
this sorted out.

>> Also, what is the purpose of "node.startup" parameter?
>> When is it in use?

Don't know. Ask Mike, he implemented it.
Probably a leftover.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                   zSeries & Storage
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                             +49 911 74053 688