Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> Hi Doron,
>
> Doron Shoham wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Why does the init script on suse re-discovers all iscsi targets which
>>> were set
>>> to automatic login?
>>> To avoid deadlocks on the root fs there is patch which limits the
>>> number of retries on first login.
>>> When doing so, it sets back all the default parameters (overriding
>>> any user definitions).
>>> I think it should be like in redhat - just login to all the targets
>>> which are automatic.
>>>
> That's what we tried initially. However, certain switches take quite a
> bit of time for the Spanning-Tree
> Protocol to work out the route, during which time any connect() attempt
> returns with -EHOSTUNREACH.
> If we do an automatic login, the login request is sent from the kernel
> directly. And any connect()
> failure from the kernel is taken as a terminal error, hence the login
> fails.

Are we talking about the same thing that keeps coming up :)

I swear someone from Voltaire asked this before. You gave the same
reply. And then I said you can increase node.session.initial_login_retry_max
so we retry the login for all cases (almost all not CHAP or target not
there errors). If we get -EHOSTUNREACH we will retry up to
node.session.initial_login_retry_max times (there is a 1 second delay
between retries so it is a delay of node.session.initial_login_retry_max
seconds). I then said that for -EHOSTUNREACH I can add a check so that
we always test for this and always retry so the user does not have to
set node.session.initial_login_retry_max but I was not sure if there was
a case where we would not want to retry.

I can even increase the default node.session.initial_login_retry_max. It
is only 4 right now. We do all the logins in parallel now, so the max
delay would be node.session.initial_login_retry_max seconds basically.
Previously when we did one portal at a time, we might have to wait
node.session.initial_login_retry_max for each portal or in cases like
EQL each device.