I am running iscsid version 2.0-730 on debian.  I have the default /
etc/iscsid.conf (also symbolically linked to /etc/iscsi/scsid.conf).

iscsid starts fine, but iscsiadm always give the above configuration
error.

/etc/initiatorname.iscsi (also symbolically linked to /etc/iscsi/
initiatorname.iscsi) contains:

InitiatorName=iqn.1989-09.edu.andrews:01.56e12c552ac3
InitiatorAlias=webdb.cc.andrews.edu

An strace makes it look like it hasn't even tried to open any of the
config files yet.  Any ideas?