Sorry for the late response. I was on vacation last week.

Rick Blundell wrote:
> Hi, my question is the same as this discussion, where someone wants to
> change the session.timeo.session_replacement value of a root filesystem,
> which is mounted over iscsi in the initrd phase.
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/open-iscsi@googlegroups.com/msg00181.html
>
> I am using iscsistart to access the iscsi target in my initrd, chrooting
> and exec'ing my init to start my system. After my system boots, I want
> to update the session timeout value so that if my ethernet is unplugged,
> my root filesystem will remain alive, and the scsi layer does not
> receive a message that the disk was disconnected.
>
> 1)
>
> To do this, I am starting iscsid with no nodes defined in
> /etc/iscsi/nodes, and using command "/sbin/iscsiadm -m node -T TARGET -p
> IP:PORT -o new" (which I was able to use for iscsistart in the initrd
> phase). I then see the db populated as there is a directory and
> configuration file in /etc/iscsi/nodes/TARGET.
>
> Now my goal is to adjust the timeout setting of the live session which
> my root is mounted on, so I am updating the live session like this:
>
> "/sbin/iscsiadm -m node -T TARGET -o update -n
> node.session.timeo.replacement_timeout -v 2400"
>
> When I do this, my /etc/iscsi/nodes/TARGET/IP,PORT file is removed,
> replaced with a directory named /etc/iscsi/nodes/TARGET/IP,PORT,-1 , and
> a config file called default inside there.

This problem where files/dirs are deleted is fixed in
http://www.open-iscsi.org/bits/open-iscsi-2.0-870-rc3.tar.gz

Alternatively, with older tools you could run iscsiadm with the portal
argument:
"/sbin/iscsiadm -m node -T TARGET -p ip:port,tpgt -o update -n
node.session.timeo.replacement_timeout -v 2400"

So you need to pass the portal info. Here
ip = ip address
port = port number
tpgt = target portal group number

> I would appreciate any help, I know I must be doing something wrong.
>

> 2)
> Can I circumvent all of this work and simply change the timeout in
> /etc/iscsi/iscsid.conf and when iscsid is started, the timeout on my
> root filesystem will be set to the value in iscsid.conf?

Did you try this? What open-iscsi version? In the current version on
open-iscsi.org if a record in /etc/iscsi/nodes is not found, when iscsid
starts up it will re-setup the session with a combination of iscsid.conf
settings and values that are currently being used. The replacement
timeout shuold be one of these that is taken from iscsid.conf.