A group I work with is currently using a Dell Equallogic RAID with
four servers on a dedicated storage network. We've been regularly
experiencing connection errors:

Dec  8 00:50:36 aperture-science kernel: [1010621.595904]
connection1:0: iscsi: detected conn error (1011)
Dec  8 00:50:37 aperture-science iscsid: Kernel reported iSCSI
connection 1:0 error (1011) state (3)
Dec  8 00:50:39 aperture-science iscsid: Login authentication failed
with target iqn.2001-05.com.equallogic:
0-8a0906-2b6e7d402-891497db5ca48925-xvm-volume-1
Dec  8 00:50:39 aperture-science kernel: [1010624.597349] iscsi: host
reset succeeded
Dec  8 00:50:40 aperture-science iscsid: connection1:0 is operational
after recovery (1 attempts)

These errors always occur about 40 seconds after a multiple of 5
minutes after the hour. Other than that, we've seen no pattern in when
they occur, or their cause. We've tried running some scripts designed
to heavily utilize storage devices, but that doesn't seem to trigger
it. These errors occur on all four of our servers, but not at the same
time.

The RAID is being used as a physical volume for an LVM volume
group. The servers are being used for hosting Xen virtual machines,
which use LVs on the RAID as their disk images. Shortly before the
connection errors are logged, all disk I/O from the virtual machines
hangs completely, causing the VMs to basically become non-responsive
to non-trivial interaction.

Our four servers are running the stock Ubuntu Hardy 2.6.24 kernel. I
don't see an explicit version number in any of the iSCSI kernel
source, but drivers/scsi/scsi_transport_iscsi.c contains:
> > #define ISCSI_TRANSPORT_VERSION "2.0-724"

The userspace utilities are 2.0.865.

Does anyone know how to stop these errors? Is there more diagnostic
information we could provide? We're way out of our league in terms of
debugging this.

- Evan