Evan Broder wrote:
>> If you can play around on the box, it would be helpful to run the
>> open-iscsi tarball release. Build it with
>>
>> make DEBUG_TCP=1 make DEBUG_SCSI=1
>>
>> then do
>>
>> make DEBUG_TCP=1 make DEBUG_SCSI=1 install
>>
>> This will overwrite the existing kernel modules and tools with the
>> open-iscsi ones, so do not this if you cannot mess around with the box
>> and reinstall the ubuntu kernel and tools.
>>
>> This will dump out a lot of info in /var/log/messages, but we are just
>> looking for the part before you see these:
>>
>> Dec  8 00:50:36 aperture-science kernel: [1010621.595904]
>> connection1:0: iscsi: detected conn error (1011)
>>
>> You might see something about a TCP_CLOSE.
>
> Ok - I've moved all of the virtual machines off of one of our servers,
> and it's currently running the latest tarball release of both the
> kernelspace and userspace pieces with both debug options enabled.
>
> Our biggest problem when we were trying to diagnose this with Equallogic
> was that we didn't have a reliable way of generating the errors. They
> don't seem to happen when there's no iSCSI traffic, but they also didn't
> occur when we ran a program that generates rapid, random reads and writes.
>
> I'd rather not put production VMs on this server while we're testing. Do
> you have any theories on how we could trigger these connection errors,
> if they're still occurring?

Not with just the above info. I t could be happening for a variety of
reasons.

It looks like the target is either disconnecting us (this is why I was
looking for a TCP_CLOSE in the debug output) because we goofed on some
iscsi protocol issue but normally I would have thought the target would
log some message.

Or for some reason the network is just getting disconnected or hitting
some problem and it is throwing an error when we try to send a packet.
For this with the newer code in that tarball we would throw a new error
code and so the "iscsi: detected conn error" output would have a
different value than 1011.