Hello,

I'm going to setup a software raid over iSCSI. While I probably should
ask my question to the raid people, my guess was someone here might
have experience with this.

I'm going to use the following topology:

There will be 2 storage servers exporting targets. Other physical
machines will initiate a target from each storage server to create a
software raid (1). Virtual machines will use these raids as their
disks.

Apart from the standard optimizations, there's one I haven't been able
to find any information on. It is suggested that initiators, using the
disks (in this case the virtualized machines) should use a head and
cylinder count that is divisable by 2. Is this suggestion correct;
does it (still) apply to iSCSI?

Now for the actual question: I don't know exactly how linux software
raid works internally, but it sounds like logic to me, that the
software raid should be aware of the head and cylinder count as well.

So, when creating raid partitions on the targets, I should also modify
the head and cylinder count on these. Is this a correct assumption and
will software raid use the values advertised in the partition table?

Any answers or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Eric