On 22 Dec 2008 at 5:11, Eric wrote:

> Besides that, I don't think I totally agree on your statement. Letting
> the IO scheduler taking the actual disk geometry into account, should
> give more performance. However, the fdisk default values are probably
> standard for disks these days.

The disk scheduler can safely assume that contiguous nearby "forward" requests
perform better than small scattered "backwards" requests. All other is mostly
speculative IMHO. You would have to know about the heads position relative in
time, track skew, sector skew, etc. Today's disk have cache big enough for
whole
tracks, so the scheduler shouldn't really care about sectors. Also the
scheduler
really cannot know on which physical cylinder (or track, or head) a specific
block
will actually reside.

However when we are talking about problems in the scheduler _software_ you may
be
right. I didn't look into it for years ;-)

Regards,
Ulrich