On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 07:40:08PM +0100, Bart Van Assche wrote:

> >> Erm, given the amount of programs which will probably end up using this
> >> (not
> >> all that much) a distro should be able to easily rebuild all those in case
> >> of
> >> an ABI change and thus a soname bump. I understand what you are trying to
> >> say
> >> here, but IMHO the added complexity and ugliness is not worth it.
> >
> > I disagree. The ABI in a distro is a holy thing. When a Linux distro
> > releases their
> > libraries (look for example at libvirt), they can't modify it for the next
> > 7 years
> > (sure they can do it underneath the covers, but look at the Red Hat kernel
> > with
> > those #ifdef __GENKSYSM__ to work-around this).
> >
> > I am curious to understand what is complex and ugly about it? Could you be
> > more specific please.
>
> I agree that having a stable binary interface is very important for a
> shared library. But if glibc doesn't have versioned structs, why would
> these be needed in an iscsi library ? Please keep in mind that it is
> possible to define a new version of a shared library in case the ABI
> changes.

Yeah. I just thought about that when I sent the e-mail about libvirt. I think
that is a good compromise - however we still need the ground-work in place
so that this library is built as libiscsi.so.1.0.0 and that the linker saves
the version information.

I guess this implies that the .spec file needs to be changed to include this
file as well.