Hi,

We have a very strange problem with an Infortrend A16E iSCSI storage
array [1]. I think it's not a Open-iSCSI related problem, but someone
here may shed some light :-)

This array has 4 iSCSI interfaces to distribute/balance ethernet
traffic. There are 16 hosts connected to this array via iSCSI, with 4
hosts per channel/interface.

*Randomly*, one of these channels resets, making the 4 servers connected
to the channel timeout. The other 3 channels are not affected at all.

Open-iSCSI logs this:

ping timeout of 5 secs expired, last rx 502453156, last ping 502446907,
now 502463156
connection4:0: iscsi: detected conn error (1011)
session4: iscsi: session recovery timed out after 120 secs
iscsi: cmd 0x28 is not queued (8)
iscsi: cmd 0x28 is not queued (8)
iscsi: cmd 0x28 is not queued (8)
sd 4:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x00010000
end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 338694423
(..)

The switch port where it is connected shows:

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/5,
changed state to down
%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/5, changed state to down
%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/5, changed state to up
%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/5,
changed state to up

It appears like iSCSI channel *resets* and starts a down+up port
process.. we have changed the wire, the switch.. and still get the same
error.

The Infortrend array is logging nothing and the official support people
have no idea about this issue :-/

We believe that the source of the problem is a single server. When we
move this server to a different iSCSI channel we get the same error
there, and the channel where it previously was starts working as
expected, with no interface resets.

Anyone could say that something in that faulty server is making the
interface reset; but we've checked it several times and we really
believe that the server is configured as the other 16 we have attached
to the array.

The switch connecting the servers and the array is a Cisco Catalyst 2960G.

Anyone ever experienced anything similar?

Regards,

[1] http://www.infortrend.com/main/2_product/es_a16e-g2130-4.asp

--
Santi Saez