Hi Mike,

El 3/2/09 20:19, Mike Christie escribió:

>> *Randomly*, one of these channels resets, making the 4 servers connected
>> to the channel timeout. The other 3 channels are not affected at all.

(..)

> The initiatior sends a iscsi ping every X seconds. If we do not get a
> response in Y seconds we drop the session (drop connection and relogin).

Yes, we were aware of this bug. In fact, you helped us with it not too
long ago:

http://tinyurl.com/cywy3j

> There was a bug in the initiator where we would spit out this timeout
> error by accident. What kernel are you using? Are you using the iscsi
> modules in the kernel or modules from a open-iscsi.org release and what
> release of open-iscsi.org?

# iscsiadm -m session -P 3
iSCSI Transport Class version 2.0-724
iscsiadm version 2.0-868
Target: iqn.2002-10.com.infortrend:raid.sn7457155.30
         Current Portal: 10.15.17.133:3260,1
         Persistent Portal: 10.15.17.133:3260,1
                 **********
                 Interface:
                 **********
                 Iface Name: default
                 Iface Transport: tcp
                 Iface Initiatorname: iqn.2001-05.net.example:vz11
                 Iface IPaddress: 10.15.17.137
                 Iface HWaddress: default
                 Iface Netdev: default
                 SID: 2
                 iSCSI Connection State: LOGGED IN
                 iSCSI Session State: Unknown
                 Internal iscsid Session State: NO CHANGE
                 ************************
                 Negotiated iSCSI params:
                 ************************
                 HeaderDigest: None
                 DataDigest: None
                 MaxRecvDataSegmentLength: 131072
                 MaxXmitDataSegmentLength: 65536
                 FirstBurstLength: 65536
                 MaxBurstLength: 262144
                 ImmediateData: Yes
                 InitialR2T: No
                 MaxOutstandingR2T: 1
                 ************************
                 Attached SCSI devices:
                 ************************
                 Host Number: 2  State: running
                 scsi2 Channel 00 Id 0 Lun: 0
                         Attached scsi disk sdb          State: running

We're using CentOS 5.2 with default "iscsi-initiator-utils" package:

# rpm -qa iscsi-initiator-utils
iscsi-initiator-utils-6.2.0.868-0.7.el5

Also, using default iSCSI modules.

>> connection4:0: iscsi: detected conn error (1011)
>> session4: iscsi: session recovery timed out after 120 secs
>
> I do not think it is the bug, because you would normally log right back in.
>
> The recovery timed out error means that the initiator tried to log back
> in for 120 seconds and during that time we could not reconnect/relogin.
>
> I think this makes sense when looking at the switch messages below. If
> something causes the link to go down, the iscsi ping would fail/timeout.
>
> I am not sure if the iscsi layer dropping the session would cause the
> link to go down/up.

The link that goes down/up isn't the link between switch and the host,
the link affected is between the *switch and the array*, very strange.
It appears that some iSCSI client is causing "something" that makes
iSCSI interface in the array to reset..

I think it's not a problem with Open-iSCSI and it's a Infortrend array
bug, but perhaps someone may shed some light with this problem.

As I said, when this ocurrs it affects to all servers connected to this
iSCSI interface/channel, including Windows hosts, etc..

Regards,

--
Santi Saez
http://woop.es