On Monday 23 February 2009 12:46:04 shyam_i...@dell.com wrote:
> Does anyone know the reason for file attributes of the files created in
> /sys/firmware/ibft/<>/files being readonly?
>
> Can't dynamically changing parameters like target ip-addreseses, iqns
> and others etc. be configurable through userspace via sysfs?
>
> I think we do have precedence of firmware parameters being modified
> using sysfs.

You cannot modify the iBFT in situ, because it contains a number of
variable-length strings and you do not (in most cases) know how much space is
available for adding further strings.  See

  http://markmail.org/message/e7p377jpkidpg3vr

for a more detailed explanation of a related issue.

You could modify the (potentially) cached values returned by sysfs, rather
than modifying the actual table, but that would then cause inconsistent
results between clients using sysfs and clients using the pre-sysfs method of
directly scanning through base memory.

(I don't see why you would want to modify the iBFT anyway, but that's a
separate issue.)

Michael