Michael wrote:
>On Monday 23 February 2009 12:46:04 shyam_i...@dell.com wrote:
>> Does anyone know the reason for file attributes of the files created
>> in /sys/firmware/ibft/<>/files being readonly?
>>
>> Can't dynamically changing parameters like target ip-addreseses, iqns

>> and others etc. be configurable through userspace via sysfs?
>>
>> I think we do have precedence of firmware parameters being modified
>> using sysfs.
>
>You cannot modify the iBFT in situ, because it contains a number of
variable-length strings and you do not (in most cases) know how much
space is >available for adding further strings.  See>

>  http://markmail.org/message/e7p377jpkidpg3vr>
>
>for a more detailed explanation of a related issue.
>
>You could modify the (potentially) cached values returned by sysfs,
rather than modifying the actual table, but that would then cause
inconsistent >results between clients using sysfs and clients using the
pre-sysfs method of directly scanning through base memory.>

>(I don't see why you would want to modify the iBFT anyway, but that's a
separate issue.)

Part of it is out of lazyness and I guess sysadmins will agree. I don't
want the system to reboot to reconfigure the target IP addresses and
iqn's when I know they have changed while I am booted into OS.
The other thing is if I have an iSNS server configured I can just issue
the change through sysfs especially if my NIC doesn't talk iSNS.

Shyam