Boaz Harrosh wrote:
> Hi Mike, list.
>
> Mike Christie has pointed out of a serious problem for us which we need
> the list help of.
>
> It started with a question by Ulrich Windl of why data-digests are
> not supported/recommended by open-iscsi installations and distros.
>
> [iscsi data-digests is when the complete payload of an iscsi transaction
>  initiator-target is signed by an HMAC(SHA1) both read/write]
>
> Mike Christie wrote:
>> Ulrich Windl wrote:
>> Data digests were working but when upstream did the scatterlist changes
>> to the kernel it broke data digests. We have not found the cause yet.
>>
>> For Red Hat, they do not support them for different reasons depending on
>> the version and arch. For example in RHEL5, the big endien crypto digest
>> code is busted. It needs a fix from upstream, and I think in general
>> there is still some other bugs in the digest code.
>>
>>> I see the performance impact, but is there another reason against
>>> implementing it?
>>> Can I safely activate it on the target, or will it cause problems?
>>>
>> Another reason a lot of distros do not support it is because a common
>> problem we always hit is that users will write out some data, then start
>> modifying it again. But the kernel will normally not do do a sync write
>> when you do a write. So once the write() returns, the kernel is still
>> sending it through the caches, block, scsi, and iscsi layers. If you are
>> writing to the data while the it is working its way through the iscsi
>> layers, the iscsi layer could have done the digest calculation, then you
>> could modify it and now when the target checks it the digest check will
>> fail. And so this happens over and over and you get digest errors all
>> over the place and the iscsi layers fire their error handling and retry
>> and retry, and in the end they just say forget it and do not support
>> data digests.
>>

> Mike if what you said in the last paragraph is true, about FS modifying the
> data
> while the request is in-flight, then it does not explain your statement above
> about, things getting worse around the scatterlist changes.

They are two separate issues.

Around the time of the scatterlist changes I will get an oops in the
digest calculation code (when we call into the crypto callouts), or in
newer kernels the oops went away and now I will get data digest errors.
I am still trying to narrow down the commit and line and make sure that
the oops is fixed and did not turn into a digest error or if maybe I am
hitting a real digest error.

The second issue is that we normally do zero copy for writes. I do not
think it is FS bug or net bug or a bug in the iscsi layer. Maybe more of
a bug in what the user expects (who reads the man page for write() to
check if the data is committed to disk when write() returns). We
discussed this a couple times. For open-iscsi we tried to close the gap,
by not doing zero copy writes when data digests are used. And a long
long time ago this was discussed for linux-iscsi, and I think that is
one of the reasons we added DID_IMM_RETRY to the scsi layer (we can then
avoid the 5 retry limit in this case and retry until it is resolved).

> The way I see it there can be two fundamental problems:
> 1. The FS is permitted to (or sinfully) modifies pages of memory while a
> request to
>    write these pages is already in-flight. fsdevel guys might want to comment
> on that?
>    Mike have you observed these problems with a particular file system?
>    I can anticipate such a problem arising in a memory-mapped IO, while a
> page-cache
>    write-back is in progress. Is that so? is Linux not safe in this regard?
> If so
>    how does DM & MD do there raid parity calculations? do they copy the data?
>
> 2. iSCSI releases the request too soon, before the all data was actually used
> up by the
>    network stack, and is allowing the FS to continue modifying these pages.
>    This is a serious problem which means that there can be crashes and data
> corruption even
>    if data-digest are not used.
>    Actually we did move not long ago from copy of network data to been
> completely copy-less
>    could that be the point in time things stopped working?
>
> 3. Plain coding bug, but I could not find any.
>
> I know in the passed that data-digests are a grate tool for finding bugs that
> otherwise can
> go undetected, it happened to me several times in the passed. All of these
> cases reviled a flaw
> in the code, do to rebasing, things changing, plain programmer bugs.
>
> Mike, I'm running here a plain iscsi initiator-target setup and the
> regression tests, and it
> runs. What setup and tests did you run to trigger these digest retries, I
> would like to
> reproduce this here, and investigate.

The open-iscsi/test regression script and dat file. Once the section
with data digests runs I hit the oops/digest error. I am not sure if I
ever hit the second zero copy write issues. I might be hitting that now.
Like I said, I have not had time to check if the oops turned into a
digest error when it should not or if I am hitting the zero copy issue.