sgibson wrote:
> I'm trying to get open-iscsi-2.0-870.3 working on a slackware system
> with a 2.6.27.8 kernel.
>
> The kernel appears to already have this version of the
> scsi_transport_iscsi, iscsi_tcp, and libiscsi.  After booting, 'dmesg'
> shows an entry saying:
> iscsi: registered transport (tcp)
>
> However, iscsid doesn't want to run, saying that it is looking for /
> sys/modules/scsi_transport_iscsi/version, which doesn't exist since it
> isn't compiled as a module.  Looking at the kernel config I don't see
> any way to get driver/scsi/scsi_transport_iscsi.c to compile as a
> kernel module.

In your kernel config do you have iscsi like this:

CONFIG_SCSI_ISCSI_ATTRS=m
CONFIG_ISCSI_TCP=m

> I also disabled the iSCSI config options in the kernel config,
> recompiled the kernel, and then did a 'make install' in open-iscsi to
> use the modules from open-iscsi.  But during compile I get warnings
> about symbols from libiscsi and scsi_transport_iscsi being exported
> twice and says "Previous export was in vmlinux".  Then when trying to

I have not seen that before. Maybe you need to start from scratch when
rebuilding the kernel. Do a

make mrproper

then rebuild the kernel (make sure you save your .config because that
command will rm it).

> start open-iscsi it complains of "invalid module format" on
> scsi_transport_iscsi.ko.

The open-iscsi-2.0-870.3 tarball has iscsi kernel modules that get built
and installed when you do make and make install. It sounds like they
might have been build for one kernel then when you rebuilt your kernel
you did not rebuild those modules or the tarball modules and upstream
kernel modules are conflciting with each other.