Thanks for the tip.  Yes, it really is LUN-0 that is missing.  All the
other LUNs (1-6) do show up in this error condition, and upon reboot
they all show up.  It is only an occasional boot up where I see LUN-0
missing, and I wanted to avoid a reboot to restore it.  I'll give the
re-scan trigger a try and see if LUN-0 shows up.

What is the magic with the "- - -" that triggers the scan?  A bit of
searching shows that many other people know about this, but I've
somehow missed it. Is there any documentation that describes this
interface (didn't see anything in the kernel docs)?

Craig