I have been receiving this error right from start. I can ping both the
systems from one another.

I think this is a bug reported here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/open-iscsi/+bug/289470

here is the ietd.conf

# Example iscsi target configuration
#
# Everything until the first target definition belongs
# to the global configuration.
# Right now this is only the user configuration used
# during discovery sessions. "IncomingUser" specifies credentials the
# initiator has to provide - several of these are supported. If mutual
# CHAP shall be employed, "OutgoingUser" specifies the user/pass
# combination the target will provide - only one is supported.
# Leave them alone (keep them commented out) if you don't want to use
# authentication for discovery sessions.

#iSNSServer 192.168.1.16
#iSNSAccessControl No

#IncomingUser joe secret
#OutgoingUser jack 12charsecret

# Targets definitions start with "Target" and the target name.
# The target name must be a globally unique name, the iSCSI
# standard defines the "iSCSI Qualified Name" as follows:
#
# iqn.yyyy-mm.<reversed domain name>[:identifier]
#
# "yyyy-mm" is the date at which the domain is valid and the identifier
# is freely selectable. For further details please check the iSCSI spec.

#Target iqn.2001-04.com.example:storage.disk2.sys1.xyz
        # Users, who can access this target. The same rules as for discovery
        # users apply here.
        # Leave them alone if you don't want to use authentication.
        #IncomingUser joe secret
        #OutgoingUser jim 12charpasswd
        # Logical Unit definition
        # You must define one logical unit at least.
        # Block devices, regular files, LVM, and RAID can be offered
        # to the initiators as a block device.
        #Lun 0 Path=/dev/sdc,Type=fileio
        # Alias name for this target
        # Alias Test
        # various iSCSI parameters
        # (not all are used right now, see also iSCSI spec for details)
        #MaxConnections         1
        #InitialR2T             Yes
        #ImmediateData          No
        #MaxRecvDataSegmentLength 8192
        #MaxXmitDataSegmentLength 8192
        #MaxBurstLength         262144
        #FirstBurstLength       65536
        #DefaultTime2Wait       2
        #DefaultTime2Retain     20
        #MaxOutstandingR2T      8
        #DataPDUInOrder         Yes
        #DataSequenceInOrder    Yes
        #ErrorRecoveryLevel     0
        #HeaderDigest           CRC32C,None
        #DataDigest             CRC32C,None
        # various target parameters
        #Wthreads               8

#added by sundar
Target iqn.2009-09.com.ubuntu:asm
Lun 0 Path=/dev/vg/asm,Type=fileio
#Target iqn.2009-09.com.ezhome:scsi.disk.vg1.ocr
#Lun 0 Path=/dev/vg1/ocr,Type=fileio
#Target iqn.2009-09.com.ezhome:scsi.disk.vg1.vote
#Lun 0 Path=/dev/vg1/vote,Type=fileio