A few more comments on this failure:
This may be a problem with how the check response is being processed
by the iSCSI stack...possibly due to data digest.

The Inquiry command goes out, the response is received with data
digest, and appears to be accepted.  A Test Unit Ready command then
goes out, response received, and 500 ms later the initiator attempts
to open a new connection/login.   The target then resets the original
TCP connection.  This is repeated several times

Is it possible that the check response with data digest is not being
handled correctly?

The /var/log/message contains a series of the following messages:

connection2:0:0 detected conn error (1011)