Thank you really.But I have not got the expected results.

Steps

1. iscsiadm -m discovery -t sendtargets -p 192.168.30.12 -o new -o
delete

2. iscsiadm -m node -T iqn.2009-04.com.systems:Target1 -p
192.168.30.12:3260 -o update -n node.startup -v automatic

   so '/var/lib/iscsi/nodes/iqn.2009-04.com.systems
\:Target1/192.168.30.12\,3260\,1/default' entry changed from
node.startup=manual(as specified in iscsid.conf) to
node.startup=automatic

3. iscsiadm -m node -T iqn.2009-04.com.systems:Target1 -p
192.168.30.12:3260 --login

4. Then if I again perform step 1(i.e. discovery),node.startup gets
overwritten as 'manual'.

I have specified 'node.startup' entry to be 'manual' and will update
it to 'automatic' only of those targets which are logged in.

What is going wrong.Am I performing the same operations as you told?
I am using iscsi-initiator-utils-6.2.0.868-0.7.el5 and it seems to
have discovery switches.
Do I need to upgrade it?