Erez Zilber wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Mike Christie <micha...@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
>> Erez Zilber wrote:
>>> Currently, open-iscsi uses debug_scsi & debug_tcp for logging. This is
>>> controlled by DEBUG_SCSI & DEBUG_TCP. The current method is
>>> problematic because you can't enable/disable these logs without
>>> recompiling.
>>>
>>> Before I start working on it, I'd like to discuss it and decide how to
>>> do that. If we have something like /sys/class/iscsi_logging, will it
>>> be good enough? We can also have logging levels (error, info, trace
>>> etc).
>>>
>> It is changed upstream. See the linux-2.6.-iscsi tree (iscsi branch).
>> Each core iscsi module has its own logging. I was going to make it more
>> finely grained, but I have never asked for just the login or just the
>> pdu or scsi logging info and for userspace have always just asked for
>> all of it. Also the iscsi kernel code is mostly for passthrough of pdus
>> so there is not much to break up.
>>
>> However, maybe more error info without debugging type of would be nicer
>> though. You could extend the existing logging fields to do that. An
>> admin might want more error info logged than what we do today maybe?
>>

> Sorry for getting back to this issue so late.
>
> Are you talking about this commit?
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mnc/linux-2.6-iscsi.git;a=commitdiff;h=1b2c7af877f427a2b25583c9033616c9ebd30aed
>
> I thought that instead of having a module param, it could be nice if
> we could control logging from sysfs or something similar, so you can
> change the logging level without restarting the driver.

With that patch you can do both. module_params are exposed in sysfs and
if you set IWUSR then you can write to it.

echo 1 > /sys/module/libiscsi/debug_libiscsi

to turn on

echo 0 > /sys/module/libiscsi/debug_libiscsi

to turn off.

> We can have separate logging for stuff like login, scsi, error
> handling, connection state etc.

Send a patch. Note that right now each module has its own logging param.
So the higher level libiscsi stuff has one. The common iscsi over tcp
module libiscsi_tcp has one, then iscsi_tcp has its own. You may want to
merge them all into one or make it so you can turn it on/off at each
layer/level.